Friday, May 10, 2013

It is Friday already!

I had a very good day today ! I started with a practice on the lesson I am going to deliver in the afternoon trying to build up more confidence. And I attended a class run by Michelle Turner for TEP 026. It was a refresher to me as I was going to deliver one in the afternoon. I find Michelle's flow so fantastic and at the same time very lively delivery with few wit & humour that adds spice to the group.
I really rushed home for lunch as I wanted to be ahead on time to set up for the class and surprisingly I was 20 mins early. So I relaxed a bit and went to the training room to set up the white board for the class. The group did not look familiar and were new to the topic which was a big relief for me! As I find it hard to balance in a class where  my clients are disinterested. So I started with a brief intro on their research topic. Michelle had introduced me to the group and their lecturer. The start was good I guess but in between I struggled to word how to explain what "journal articles"..what a tragedy!..but Michelle was there to rescue me everytime I was caught up..which was so comforting and reassuring that I had a strong back up if at all I miss or misdirect !

the hour went very fast!

Later I attended one on one consultation with Jayshree with a researcher/lecturer from Menzies school of health. She looked very stressed and sounded panicky as she said she is expected to complete her research at the end of next month and she wanted help to research quick. After we heard from her about her research topic , she was shown how to search in google scholar, and ebscohost database, summon, informit for Australian content and a brief intro  how to export and manage info in Endnote. Also I learnt(hope so) what gray literature meant!

At the end of this consultation she looked better and more relaxed and was grateful for the information. She was aslo offered more help if needed when she had time as she was in a rush!

Overall I feel the support library renders to these variety of clients is worth mentioning as the degree of satisfaction can be visible on the clients' face. As we all know people can search google and googling is so popular but the quality of resources retrieved from google is questionable. And the trainings library offers to discover & manage those resourcesis so good!

No comments: