Thursday, May 16, 2013

hi again

It is already Thursday and here I am. I am really enjoying the traineeship as I am learning new things everyday. Yesterday I spent some time in the morning trying to understand how to develop a lesson plan for today's Navitas class-International students doing a few weeks of comprehensive English course to get into the main stream. The lesson plan was about referencing using CDU Harvard and APA style guides. I had to keep in mind the clientele type while planning. It was important for me to note down every detail of information and how am I going to explain about:  referencing-intext & reference list, plagiarism, journals,database, eresources, websites, etc.

In the afternoon I spent some time with Jayshree working on theses libguide and tyding up the information. It was a bit tedious to fix the font and margins in the libguide software. I had to rearrange the resources-books & ebooks on order latest on top. It took ages for me to figure out before noticing the "reorder books" tab!..sometimes information is right under your nose and you dont see it!

Today I spent two  and half hours in the training room with Navitas group training how to reference. It was a very interactive class. They were very keen to learn and responded very well. Michelle started the delivery giving a detail and interesting information about referencing followed by activity . They were given books with different information : edited books, more than one authors, etc, and use two referencing styles. Later, I continued with journals asking few questions about what journals are, showing the hard copy, etc and Bernadatte helped me . I felt very comfortable in delivering and answering ...I am very keen  to continue in future..feeling more confident at the same time realizing that there is a lot to learn!

Later in the afternoon spent sometime collating resources and handouts for tomorrow's EndNote workshop! And most interesting part was a friends who is a masters by coursework pops into my office asking for help finding theses. how cool is that? as I had already attended a few workshops on finding thesis ..this was the real time to practice what I had learnt so far..I helped her confidently and also directed her to the online links and wokshops that are there for students through research page. As she was a friend so I could ask her if it was helpful and she was positive!

Soon we'll be heading towards Wharf Illido?? for Sally's farwell dinner!

No comments: